In order to move from CONGU to WHS handicaps, all players’ current Handicap Records will be reprocessed using the WHS principles. The calculation will identify the best 8 of the last 20 Qualifying Scores, if posted since January 2018, and factor in:
• The adjusted Gross Score (Score Differential)
• The Course Rating (or SSS)
• Any PCC (or CSS) adjustments
• The Slope Rating of the tees played
Click on the pictures at the bottom of the page for more information about the calculation and examples of how it might affect different types of player.
Note: some of the terminology used in the slides has changed since the slides were originally created.
If a player has submitted less than 20 scores in the last 2 years, the calculation will be done in a similar manner to the method of allocating new handicaps, as shown below.
Players will be able to see their expected Transition Handicap and their Low Handicap Index (Anchor Point) at the PSI screen when the handicapping software is updated around October 2020.
Players are encouraged to submit plenty of scores between now and November 2020 so that their Transition Handicap Index is a good reflection of current playing ability. 9 hole scores are acceptable and clubs are encouraged to run 9 hole competitions to help with this.
If less than 20 Qualifying Scores posted in the last 2 years
- 3 scores: lowest score -2
- 4 scores: lowest score -1
- 5 scores: lowest score
- 6 scores: average of lowest 2 scores -1
- 7 to 8 scores: average of lowest 2 scores
- 9 to 11 scores: average of lowest 3 scores
- 12 to 14 scores: average of lowest 4 scores
- 15 to 16 scores: average of lowest 5 scores
- 17 to 18 scores: average of lowest 6 scores
- 19 scores: average of lowest 7 scores
- 20 scores: average of lowest 8 scores
If a player has no Qualifying Scores posted in the last 2 years, the Transition Handicap will be calculated on the basis of the 3 lowest scores being equal to their current playing handicap. So a player with a 20 handicap will have scores of 20, 20 and 20 on their Scoring Record and their handicap at Transition will be (20 – 2) = 18.
So there’s an incentive to get at least 3 Qualifying Scores in by November!